Monday, July 27, 2009

Starbury loses his mind live

EDITED TO ADD: Everyone seems to think that he is descending into madness. I don't, I think he has a bizarre sense of hunour, and he makes me laugh. Starbury is not hurting anyone, let him randomly endorse Ritz crackers, can't hurt.

Watch live video from starburytv on Justin.tv

In that box is NBA player Stephon Marbury AKA Starbury. According to Wikipedia, he " was an NBA All-Star in 2001 and 2003 and was voted into the All-NBA Third Team in 2000 and 2003."

That my friends, is less than a third of the story.

In 1999, he demanded a trade out of Minnesota.

He played for the only American Olympic team to lose a gold medal, but he did set a team record scoring 31 individual points.

After getting kicked off the Knicks for being a bad teammate, he was called the most reviled figure in New York Sports. He also got in a fist fight with the team's coach, and threatened to blackmail that coach. That coach was eventually forced to settle a $5 million case with a former employee over sexual harassment.

He was banned from New York Knicks things, so he bought himself a halfcourt ticket for a Knicks game in LA, and texted through the entire thing.

He also put out an affordable line of shoes for poor kids. The shoes cost $14.98, a hell of a lot cheaper than Air Jordans.

Now to the box of Starbury himself up there. He is broadcasting his life online now... according to the New York Times he has:

¶On leaving the Knicks: “My job wasn’t taken. It was given to Chris Duhon. Don’t get it twisted. And that’s no disrespect to Duhon either.”

¶On philanthropy: “I’m going to set up a foundation for the world. I’m going to take the money and start building cities all over the world. I’m a comet. My man told me I’m a comet. I said, ‘I’m a comet?’ ”

¶On Jeanie Buss, a Los Angeles Lakers executive: “Jeanie Buss, I love her with all my heart. I’d take my heart out and give it to her. That’s how ill she is. I love that lady.”

¶On the best player in the N.B.A.: “No, I’m not the best player in the N.B.A. Kobe Bryant is the best player. I don’t care about the N.B.A. Those days are over with.”


He also ate Vaseline and took a shot at LeBron James.

Point being, I can't stop watching... it is disturbing, hyopnotic and strangely calming.... and compelling TV.

EDITED TO ADD: EVEN MORE STARBURY MADNESS:

"No, I'm not the best player in the NBA. Kobe Bryant is the best player. I don't care about the NBA Those days are over with."

"I'm going to set up a foundation for the world. I'm going to take the money and start building cities all over the world. I'm a comet. My man told me I'm a comet. I said, 'I’m a comet?'"

"My kids are like: Daddy, why are you on the bench? Why ain't daddy in the game?"

"I had to overconversate."

"Where would I want my jersey retired? Boston."

"Chris Paul, he got power and he slither, he slither...he move real silky like a snake."

"I'll be a bum for seven dollars and a blowjob? Hahahahaaha. They tryin to put me in a box! Its impossible!"

"Jeanie Buss, I love her with all my heart. I’d take my heart out and give it to her. That’s how ill she is. I love that lady."

"I love Canada. Ohhhh Can-a-da.... I love that song. I love your anthem. I love hearing it. Its fresh."

"You've gotta thank 'em for a bowel movement. You've gotta thank 'em for a bowel movement."

"Am I jealous of Tracy McGrady and Jason Kidd? Jealous of what?"

"Marbury you suck and won't win a championship? Ok, you still talking about basketball and I'm talking about LIFE."